Defining ”world’s fastest” diesel has many facets. Do you mean a diesel that is the fastest to 60, or simply the diesel with the highest top speed? Do you want to talk about production vehicles, or a car that someone spent tens of thousands of dollars upgrading? Well, since most of the readers here have day-jobs that do not include running a multinational corporation, we will stick to non-modified, production-type cars and look at the world’s fastest diesels by top speed and 0-60.
5 Fastest Diesels from 0 to 60
- 2009 Audi R8 6.0 Quattro V12 TDI (concept) with a 0-60 mph time of 4.2 seconds
- 2013 BMW M550d xDrive F10 with a 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds
- 2013 Audi A8 4.2 TDi Quattro with a 0-60 time of 4.6 seconds
- 2012 BMW X6 M50d E71 with a 0-60 time of 5.2 seconds
- 2011 Audi A7 3.0 TDI 310 with a 0-60 time of 5.2 seconds
5 Fastest Diesels by Top Speed
- 2009 Audi R8 6.0 Quattro V12 TDI (concept) with a top speed of 186 mph
- 2013 Porsche Panamera Diesel 3.0 V6 Turbo with a top speed of 161 mph
- 2011 Jaguar XF 3.0D S with a top speed of 155 mph
- 2012 BMW X6 M50d E71 with a top speed of 155 mph
- 2011 Audi A5 Sportback 3.0 TDI top speed of 155 mph
These lists render an easy to see all around champion, but we have to keep in mind that Audi halted production plans for their R8-based diesel supercar in 2009. At his point, this leaves the BMW’s M550d. Of course, I’ll be first to say “mea culpa” if I missed something here. Be sure to correct me in the comments.
Recent posts in Features